I spaced out on doing the 12-on-12 photo challenge yet again. To be honest, it would have been an extremely boring twelve photos, as I spent almost the entire day at my desk. I’d claim I didn’t even see the sun, but I now recall that I did, in fact, buy a bag of junk food at Seven-Eleven.
As a consolation prize, please enjoy this TMI
Tuesday Thursday meme instead. Or don’t.
THE WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES
- 1. In general (we’ll get to the politics in a few) do you watch the Winter Olympics?
- I can’t say that I’ve ever really watched the Winter Olympics, and this hasn’t really changed this year. I saw a few minutes of ice skating, and that was only because the restaurant where I ate had it on all the screens.
- 2. Winter or Summer?
- I can’t say that I’m a big Summer Olympics fan, either. I know, this is the point where one is expected to make a lascivious comment about swimsuits and/or wrestling singlets, and I certainly would not argue with such comments in general, but scanty sportswear is not quite enough motivation to get me to tune in.
- 3. What are your favorite winter events? Do you follow any of them outside the game?
- This may come as a shock, but I don’t follow sports in general.
- 4. Which sport needs to stay and which one needs to go?
- I just tell you that I don’t follow sports and now you ask me to pass judgment on them? Even if I could name more than ice skating and snowboarding, I still would not. The fact that anyone would train so hard to try and be the best in the world at any sport should give it some legitimacy.
- 5. Which is the weirdest sport?
- I heard there was an event that consisted of cross-country skiing and target shooting. The idea’s more amusing to me than it is weird.
- 6. What is your POV on boycotting The Olympics by countries and or athletes?
- As with boycotting anything else, it’s a gesture, but like any gesture, it probably won’t solve anything on its own.
- 7. Are you boycotting NBC or any Olympic sponsors?
- Yes, my total disinterest in the games has really been a carefully calculated political statement all along. Moo hoo ha, moo hoo ha.
- 8. Do you think boycotts are effective?
- Almost never. An effective consumer boycott requires a critical mass of participants, and there are just too many consumers today. It all just sort of averages out. Now, a sponsor boycott or a vendor boycott can be quite effective.
- 9. If you were an athlete what would you do?
- It would probably be something that was equally obscure, ridiculous, and manly. Caber toss, maybe, or that thing where you run on a barrel floating in the water, or maybe the Biathlon.