The Friday Five asks… Dreams!
- 1. Describe a recurring dream you have and what you think it means.
- Here’s a recurring theme for your analysis…
- I step onto an elevator. The doors close. Rather than moving smoothly to the next floor, the chamber bounces violently up and down, and sometimes side to side.
- I flip the light switch in the bathroom. It is dark. I toggle the switch a few times before realizing that I have made a terrible mistake. The fan roars to bloodthirsty life, detaching from the wall, floating toward me.
- I am in a multilevel parking garage. I see an old car I used to drive. I suddenly realize that my old car wants to kill me.
… Inanimate objects suddenly hate me. But I work in IT so that’s just kind of a fact of life, really. (Weak chuckle.) But seriously, I assume it’s just some sort of metaphor for anxiety over the uncontrollable aspects of life.
- 2. What do you like to daydream about?
- I’m currently daydreaming about a Halloween costume. An elaborate, cumbersome, and obscure Halloween costume. Unfortunately, I probably won’t have anywhere to wear it to, except possibly to answer the door.
- 3. What’s your scariest dream you can remember?
- What, other than being the designated target of the inexplicable antagonism of elevators, ventilators, and automobiles? Okay, fine. I once dreamed that I lost someone important, and all that I had left was a single voicemail message.
- 4. What would be a “dream come true” for you?
- That someone, someday, will say that I made a difference and improved the world in some modest way. And I would also like to take a nice long vacation.
- 5. Best dream you’ve ever had:
- There was the time that I dreamed that I was driving a giant robot. I could actually feel the seat bobbing and swaying each time the robot stepped forward. Yeah, it was pretty cool. What, you expected me to recount a naughty dream? Too bad. I seem always to wake up from those before they can get anywhere.