Where have I been, indeed. As a rule, I don’t discuss work here. However, I will say that I’ve spent the last… oh, however many day’s it’s been… picking up the pieces of a poorly-managed project and Krazy Gluing them into something vaguely resembling the desired product. Yes, it was a difficult birth, and the baby (so to speak) doesn’t look much as the parents imagined she would.
Lessons learned? Yes. Basic project management: it works– use it!
- Ensure that all team members have a clear understanding of
- the big picture,
- terminology specific to the business,
- the business model of the business,
- their responsibilities and relationships,
- what’s to be accomplished.
- Set goals, intermediate goals, and milestones with specific deliverables.
- Prioritize (into Must-do, Should-do, and Could-do.)
- Devise a reasonable work distribution, not necessarily an even one.
- Communicate, but don’t reverse-delegate.